Sunday, August 17, 2014

Master Spinner Level Two

My level two Master Spinner experience was fantastic! Not only was it with a group of fabulous women but I also had a great teacher, Michelle Boyd. Our class size was smaller which was wonderful because we were all able to get one-on-one attention and help. Even though I think I'm crazy for doing two years of work in one year, I benefited from the knowledge I received for my level two week and I can apply it to my level one homework. I learned so much in this one week and I think I became a much more controlled spinner because of it! 


After day one I was beat but in the best way!

I was lucky enough to stay at my parents home on the north shore of Long Island and get some mommy time! After the first day of using my wool combs we were not friends. I feel with a little more practice we will become friends. They are a great tool for fiber prep and making a true worsted yarn. 

Here are some of my yarn samples from the week. 

Level two is focused on blending and using different fiber characteristics to be able to get the perfect yarn for your end use. 

We will have to create a color wheel out of the primary colors using blending techniques. 

Sheep Love! This is Hercules. He is from my friend Lisa's farm. It is one of her Finn sheep. To learn more about Lisa and her fiber farm visit her website. Her fiber is amazing! http://www.bayhavenshorttails.com/

Their fiber is so yummy and she coats them so it stays clean and so soft! 

I love my sheepy kisses! I can do this all day ! 

I had lots of studying to do for my test and Tess, my parents Golden Retriever puppy, was a study buddy. It worked. I got a 24 out of 25 on my test! Thanks Tess for letting me read all the technical spinning information to you! 

One of the hair sheep at the Smithtown Historical Society grounds where we took our class. 

One of my new toys! My Zoom Loom, great to create swatches for my homework. 

Some rolags made from South Down wool for woolen spinning prep made on my hand carders.

This is going to be one of my main go to tools. It can measure my angle of twist, wraps per inch and its a bottle opener! 

Lastly this a birds nest I found on the ground in my parents front yard. I put out suite containers with llama fiber and the birds did all the work. I just love it!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment