Sunday, June 14, 2015

Breed Book- Bluefaced Leicester

Bluefaced Leicester

Photo credit http://www.blueleicester.co.uk/sales/midlock.htm

Fleece ranges from  2 1/4 - 4 1/2  pounds with a 75-80% yield from washing. 
The fiber has an average staple length of 3”-6”. 
The average micron count is 24-28.




Woolen
Prep- Washed, rinsed twice. Teased then carded. Spun woolen using a long draw.

Before processing, I separated the shorter light gray fiber to use for the woolen yarn and the darker longer fiber for the worsted yarn. During the teasing process, I broke off most of the tips of the fiber with my hands. They were really damaged and broke off easily. The fiber did have a lot of vegetable matter present so while teasing I picked out as much as possible. I then carded the fiber three times and used a dowel to assist in making rolags. During spinning, a lot of small debris fell out. I plyed the yarn loosely and I am satisfied with the result. 


Suggested end use: The woolen finished yarn has a much softer hand then the worsted. Due to the softness, it could be used next to the skin. I love the airiness quality and think it would make an amazing sweater. I am really happy with the end result of this yarn. 



Worsted
Prep- Dip washed, rinsed twice. Teased then combed. Spun worsted using a forward draw. 

Before processing, I separated the shorter light gray fiber to use for the woolen yarn and the darker longer fiber for the worsted yarn. While combing the fiber had a lot of static and come out very clean. The fiber had felted tips that broke off during combing which lead to large amounts of fiber waste. That being said, the sliver came out nice, clean and drafted beautifully. There were some nubs that I was able to remove during the spinning process. 

Suggested end use: The yarn had a clean and crisp hand. After weaving the swatch, I found that it would an amazing woven scarf or shawl. I love the hand of the yarn and finished fabric. 

No comments:

Post a Comment